Hi Everyone! Thanks for giving your time to my blog.
This -N- that Parenting is a place to help parents be intentional about using positive parenting and becoming the adult they want their child to be in order to have a thriving family.
I, Shelly Stasney, am the wife, stay-at-home, homeschooling mama to 2 boys and blogger behind this blog.
I ate, slept and breathed elementary education for 15.5 years. I love all things education, and it is still very near and dear to my heart. I knew at the age of 3 I wanted to be a teacher, and I gave it every ounce of me while I was involved. I have a BA in Elementary Education and a master’s in Education Leadership with a Principal Certification.
Becoming a Parent
I was absolutely shocked to find myself pregnant in 2013. After many years of not getting pregnant, I had decided it was impossible. One weekend in February, 6 pregnancy tests confirmed otherwise, and my life has never been the same.
Even more than that, I was by no means living a life that I wanted to raise my child in. While I was a top-notch human in the classroom, at least 30% of my life was not what I wanted to bring a child into.
I stopped many of my bad habits, and I continue to try to stop others. I continue to add good habits, routines, and disciplines as well.
In a sense, I feel that my children have “saved” me even though I was already saved.
In 2015, I was shocked again when 5 pregnancy tests confirmed there would be a second child.
Jock and Luke are also one of the best things that have ever happened to me.
I quit teaching elementary school to stay at home and raise our boys. Being a mom has been the best, hardest, thing I have ever done. Now I eat, sleep and breathe trying to figure out how to do this family thing the best way possible. I am even more passionate about parenting than I was teaching.
Why a Blog?
When Chris and I became parents, we started out parenting the way we were parented. In less than a year, we were looking for new ways to parent. I started doing what I love- RESEARCHING! This put us on a journey into positive parenting.
Before long, we realized that parenting is not about controlling your children, but more about becoming the adult you hope your child will be. In a sense, this is refreshing because the only person you really can control is yourself.
On this blog, you will find all of the things I wish I knew when that test came out positive.
I am still learning, and by no means will I ever call myself a parenting expert. But I will say that becoming a parent has transformed me and revolutionized my life for the better.
I believe it can do the same for you. If I can help you fast-forward your learning in any way, that’s what I am here for!
Again, welcome, and I look forward to getting to know you.
Connect With Me:
- The most personal way to connect with me is by joining the parenting tribe. You will get a letter from me once a week that will help you with positive parenting and becoming the best version of yourself. I don’t take access to your inbox lightly. You get my best material. Join the tribe here.
- The This -N- That Parenting Facebook community is the place to join to receive the latest articles and videos positive parenting information
- Parenting Together is where parents share their wins and their struggles and ask for help!
- To get the latest videos and interviews about positive parenting and becoming the best version of yourself, subscribe to This -N- That Parenting’s YouTube channel.
How Can This Blog Help You?:
Reasons to Use Positive Parenting:
- 7 Facts About Your Child’s Prefrontal Cortex That Are Game Changers
- Self-Fulfilling Prophecy: Children Will Become What You Say They Are
- 4 Simple But Effective Ways For Connecting With Your Child
- Children Will Never Forget How You Made Them Feel
- To Spank or Not to Spank? The Decision We Made and How We Made It
- 10 Reasons to Stop Spanking That Are Backed By Research
- How To Stop Spanking Your Child
- What to Do Instead of Spanking or Punishment
- Self-Care 101: Be Intentional About One of the Hard Basics of Parenthood
- How to Keep From Losing Your Patience With Your Child
- 5 Time-Saving Tips for Busy Moms Who Want Their Life Back
- The Way We Talk to Our Child Becomes Their Inner Voice