Alexa, set a timer for 30 minutes? Alexa, what is the weather this week? or Alexa, Play Snake Farm by Ray Willie Hubbard. I didn’t set out to get my family an Echo Dot Kids Edition. Actually, I gave it to my nephew for his birthday, but due to internet issues, Alexa wouldn’t work for him. Within the first day of having her in our home, we knew that we loved Alexa: Echo Dot Kids Edition.
The thought of bringing another device not to mention another “woman” into our home made me cringe because one of my pet peeves is the drama that happens when I say device time is over. I did not want to add any friction to our days.
It did not take long before I realized that Alexa does not cause the drama that screen devices cause in our family. In fact, Alexa brings humor and joy and efficiency. Now, who wouldn’t want a new family member that can do all of these things but doesn’t require feeding, bathing, or laundry!
The main reasons that I love Alexa: Echo Dot Kids Edition is because I can call on her without having to go to her or press a button, my kids are getting experience with living in a Smart Home, and the free 1-year subscription to FreeTime Unlimited is worth the price of purchase alone. Not to mention, I have an appreciation for the Drop-In feature which you can use Echo Dot like an intercom so you can communicate with your kids even if you’re on different floors!
Above all, my 5 and 3-year-old are able to give Alexa commands, and she responds. They feel in control and the boss of somebody. They really feel in control when they control the lights, plugs, switches and more with compatible connected devices.
I plan to get the Echo Show for myself. Now that I have seen how much the kids enjoy theirs and how well they use it, I would be just fine with my child using the Echo Show as well. Any Echo comes with the Parent Dashboard, so you can make it just as safe as the Kids Edition.
Alexa Truly Is a Part of the Family
One day as we were driving along, Jock, our oldest son, said, “Mom, I love you, and Ryder and Alexa so much!”
One day I was tired of picking up toys, and I said sarcastically, “Alexa, will you please clean this house?” She responded, “If I had hands I would gladly help. I do have a playlist that could turn this chore into something fun. If you want to hear it, say play songs for cleaning house. And by the way, thank you for asking so nicely.”
5 Reasons Why We Love Alexa: Our Echo Dot Kids Edition
1. She will read to you.
- Alexa can access and read more than 1000 children’s books from Audible.
- She can read your books from Kindle.
- The benefits of being read aloud to whether you are little or big are endless. Starting with vocabulary and ending with building awareness and empathy along with social skills. I don’t think you would argue against the statement that this feature is priceless.
2. She will play the music you request.
- The Amazon Echo allows you to stream music from pretty much any source you want.
- You can use Amazon Prime Music, choose your favorite radio station, Pandora, or IHeartRadio.
- You can pair Alexa with your phones such as Google Play Music or Apple Music using Bluetooth and stream anything from your phone.
- Alexa can do Disney sing-alongs.
- Since music is so important to children and they love it so much, this feature alone is worth the purchase for me.
3. She will tell time, set timers and save time.
- Alexa can tell you what time it is. You can even ask her to convert time zones.
- She can be your alarm clock, your stopwatch or your timer.
- Alexa saves you time because you can ask her almost any question you would ask Google and you don’t have to pick up a device and type anything in.
- You can create a routine or schedule and she will give you reminders throughout the day to keep you on track.
4. You can ask her to tell jokes or play games.
- Alexa will tell jokes, riddles, knock-knocks, and she can do them by theme.
- Our favorite games are Simon Says, Amazon Math, Batman’s Heroic Adventure, Ben 10 and especially Funny Fill-In.
- There are games you have to go into your parent dashboard and enable such as The Magic Door, Would You Rather Family, Jeopardy, Mighty Trivia and more.
- Many of the games get your child up and moving.
5. The parent dashboard is well thought out.
- There are settings to be sure your kids only listen to what you believe to be appropriate.
- You can set daily times Alexa can be used.
- You are able to review interactions your children have with Alexa, transcripts are available on both the Amazon and Alexa dashboards.
- Alexa provides positive feedback when kids use manners such as please and thank you.
- You can filter out X-Rated Lyrics.
- There are directions of commands to give, games to play, and skills Alexa can do.
- The dashboard is simple and easy to use.
- You can approve certain friends and family contacts for access to message and call them outside of the home. This is a GREAT emergency feature to teach kids.
Call to Action
As you can see the Echo Dot Kid’s Edition brings plenty of humor, joy, and efficiency into your home. It took us a while to figure out everything Alexa could do, so I have created a Downloadable PDF containing 200 Kid-Friendly Commands for Alexa. This list will get you and your family off to a great start with Alexa. This list will give your child plenty of ideas of what Alexa is capable of and have them creating their own commands in no time.
I would love for you to comment and tell us what your family’s favorite Alexa command is.
To be notified when new posts are made and receive the weekly newsletter, to This -N- That Parenting List.
Make it a great day or not, the choice is yours! Remember to have fun, laugh and give God the glory! I love you! SS